Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Trip to Blacksburg

Yesterday, we went to Dan Fosters Violin shop in Blacksburg to try out some violins. Dan Foster gave me four to try out, I ruled out one right away. It was down to Dan Fosters violin he made in 1998, one he made in 2003, and an Italian Violin made by Guido Mambelli, in 1927. Of the two of Dan Fosters, they both had the same kind of sound, but the 2003 model had a better ring than the 1998 model. I liked the tone of the Italian violin better than Dan Fosters, but I thought the ring of Dan's 2003 model rang better than the Italian.

I did all the judging in Dan Fosters shop. To really make any more judgment, I'll get Bendy to look at them, and play them somewhere like Olin Hall, or some other performance hall.

What were going to do is, try out violins from a bunch of different suppliers, and then the best violins from the best suppliers will be tried out against each other. This way, we will find the "best of the best."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home